Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:09:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bash Script Help - File Names With Spaces

>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:47:25 -0700,
>> Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> said:

D> Then I attempt to use 'basename' to extract the file name to a variable
D> which I can later pass to 'ln'.  This seems to work:
D>   basename "/archive/Multimedia/Audio/Music/Billboard Top USA
D>   Singles/1980-028 Kenny Loggins - This Is It.mp3"

   This is a subset of a larger problem: getting the last field from a set
   of delimited records which may not all have the same number of fields.

   I've used this when I needed basenames for ~500,000 files:
     find . regex-or-print-or-whatever | rev | cut -f1 -d/ | rev

   For dirnames:
     find . regex-or-print-or-whatever | rev | cut -f2- -d/ | rev | sort -u

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.  It makes the
neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.    --unknown