Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:09:24 -1000
From:      Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        David Jackson <djackson452@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Severe instabilities and system lockups

Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2010 16:52:08 David Jackson wrote:
>
>> Are there any diagnostic tools uch as getting a log of tranmissions on
>> USB and probe it, ,or finmd out what code it is lockilng up on ?Has
>> anyone else seen these problems with USB disks?
>
> You'll probably get a better response by asking on the freebsd-usb mailing
> list.
>
> The following debug nodes for USB in 8.0 are present:
>
>> sysctl hw.usb | grep debug
> hw.usb.ehci.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ohci.debug: 0
> hw.usb.uhci.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ctrl.debug: 0
> hw.usb.umass.debug: 0
> hw.usb.debug: 0
> hw.usb.dev.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ugen.debug: 0
> hw.usb.uhub.debug: 0
> hw.usb.proc.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ulpt.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ucom.debug: 0
> hw.usb.uhid.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ukbd.debug: 0
> hw.usb.ums.debug: 0
>
> Your first step should probably be to get a verbose boot log (boot -v) - one
> of the USB developers will likely know better than I do which sysctl debug
> nodes to set to get more details.

Aloha,

If the node is disappearing for the USB device and it is connected by a
cable to the box try replace the cable. We had one here that would not
stay listed on the hardware and it was the cable connector gone bad.

I have never had a USB device lock up the box though.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc@hdk5.net >