Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:37:10 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "'mupi@Mknet.org'" <mupi@Mknet.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

On Wednesday, June 27, 2001 3:14 PM, Mike Porter [SMTP:mupi@mknet.org] wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2001 09:44, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Is there a reason why you took this off the list?
> >
> my mistake (or my mailer's depending on how you look at it).  If the
> majordomo config file for the list included the line "reply-to:
> stable@freebsd.org" then all replies would by defualt go back to the list.
> While this isn't ALWAYS appropriate, it usually is....

No problem. I expected as such ... looking back, I had intended that question
to mean "Should I not be posting to -STABLE" but then I *did* post to -STABLE
so it was pretty silly to bring it up at all ...

<snipped much reasonable and well-though discussion, because the last
paragraph of your reply makes a point the nullifies most of the argument>

> I agree, but I think that putting things in terms people can understand is
> also important, and mentioning something along the lines of the above
> paragraph might help some people better undrstand the relationship between
> -current, -stable, and -release.

To take all the specifics out and state my opinion in one general comment.
The statement you make above is the exact reason I don't think that beta
is a good name. Folks are used to seeing the label beta on some sort of
static release that they can test and compare (beta1, beta2, etc) Whereas
-STABLE is a constantly moving target. If you looked into it, there would be
what? 20,000 possible versions of 4.3-STABLE so far? And you can grab
any one of those versions if you want (like if you know a certain feature
appeared after a certain date, but a certain bug didn't appear till a certain
date) This is the biggest divergence from a beta type software that I see.

> On the other hand.....I seem to recall the initial post in this sub-thread
> was something like "if we are taking votes...." 1) I don't think we really
> are taking votes and 2) even if we were, I think the majority by their
> failure to chime in is indicating their general pleasure with the status quo.

True. Considering the core team hasn't asked for a vote, I assume that they
either know what they want to do, or they plan to discuss it amoung themselves.

I will agree that -STABLE is somewhat misleading. If we had a single word
that meant "conservative development", that would be the perfect label
for that branch. I still think that beta is not that word, but as you put it,
there seems to be general pleasure with the status quo.

-Bill