Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:21:46 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, Otter <otterr@telocity.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command to Re-Read Paths?

Tim McMillen wrote:

>         And csh (and tcsh) are the only ones that keep the hash table of
> commands.  The others just search through the path.  As I was informed the
> last time I asked about rehash, csh maintains this hash table to make
> command execution slightly more efficient by speeding the finding of the
> executeable.  Other shells don't do this.

	Actually, just about every modern shell keeps a hash table of commands
its already seen. All of the "advanced" bourne shell derivatives (like
bash, my shell for example) that I am aware of do.

$ type mount
mount is hashed (/sbin/mount)

The difference is that the bourne shell derivatives are smart enough to
scan the PATH again automatically when the user requests a command it
hasn't already seen. :)

Doug
--
    "The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing
and