Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:38:36 -0800
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/14319: hostname(1) doesn't mention rc.conf

John Baldwin wrote:

> Heh.. not really a controversy, a bike shed argument maybe.  I was just curious
> as to what you thought of my last proposal:
>
>  To permanently set the hostname, define the variable
>  .Va hostname
>  in
>  .Pa /etc/rc.conf
>  to be the desired name of the host.

This, or the second one I followed up to the PR with.  Commit either
one, it makes no never mind to me.  I think they're both fine; they both
say what needs saying.

> Also, I don't know why your English teacher hates the (arguably) largest group
> of adverbs in existence, I've certainly never encountered that opinion before.

Not so much "English teacher" as "creative writing teacher", and her
(and my) primary complaint about adverbs is that they're some of the
weakest words in the language.  "He spoke loudly" just doesn't say as
much as "He hollered" or "He bellowed".  Thus I can't use adverbs in
place of verbs without a mental override.  I think reasonable people can
disagree on whether "permanently set" says more or less than "configure
at boot time".

For a man page, this is all hair-splittery (and this isn't the
freebsd-bondage-and-discipline-english-usage list).  Commit the one you
think is best (you have commit privileges, n'est pas?).

(And of course, I had to bring this up *right after* 3.4-RELEASE came
out.  D'oh!)

Cheers,
William Richard
wdr@tdl.com