Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        michelle@sorbs.net
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, vmiller@hostileadmin.com, rkoberman@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Ports tree gone unstable?

On 27 Apr, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Don Lewis wrote:

>>> No, completely separate repo as the new trees are constantly breaking my
>>> tree so I keep them entirely separate.
>>> It would have been around march I did the last build so yes probably
>>> prior to Mar 27.

>>> To the latest.
>>> Yeah, 3.1.x changes the base OS without authority and breaks the entire
>>> build system (can't build anything but the official tree in it) so it's
>>> been deemed a security issue (because it "upgrades" the existing
>>> repositories) and therefore cannot be installed or used on any of the
>>> existing build servers.
>> Sorry, this is all from memory ... my poudriere machine will be offline
>> for several more hours so I can't use it as a reference.
>>
>> Poudriere shouldn't be changing anything in the base OS.  It probably
>> creates some temp files under /tmp and puts the package repositories
>> that I builds and the log files under its own directories under
>> /var/tmp.
>
> Unfortunately the first thing that 3.1.[012]? did was install all the
> pkg stuff and change the pkg_add repo into a pkg repo... or something
> like it, which broke everything horribly..  it was a long time ago so no
> idea the specifics now... but it (3.1.x) was put on a 'not suitable for
> use due to security issues' list.

That could be the point at which support for the old pkg_* tools was
removed from poudriere.  That would explain why it wanted to upgrade
things.

I'd thought that poudriere was using the host copy of pkg to do the
final part of the respository build, but since poudriere doesn't list
pkg as a dependency, that appears not to be the case.  It looks like
poudriere is running pkg (from the repository being constructed) in the
jail for that.

>> You should be able to build as many different ports trees as you want
>> and they can be downloaded via portsnap or svn, or created by hand.
>> I think I've got 4-6 ports trees that I use with poudriere.
> Which I have 2 currently - one which is 'HEAD' and the other which is my
> 'pkg_*' tools tree (up to date - mostly).
>>
>> The repository that gets updated by a poudriere run is named
>> with a combination of the jail name, the ports tree name, and the set
>> name (-z option).  The latter can be use to select an alternate
>> make.conf to set different port options.
>
> Yes, however 3.1.x 'updated' the repo from pkg_* to something like pkgng
> - it was completely f**ked though... basically had to erase everything,
> downgrade and reinstall everything to get it back to a 'will build both
> trees' state.
>
>>> Question is why would it be needed?  Surely the tree is the tree in the
>>> jail and has nothing to do with the host?  or is it not a case of
>>> everything is done in the jail, just the actual building is and
>>> therefore I need new build servers for the NG tree.. Which basically
>>> means I should just decide to fork or erase the whole system because I
>>> can't "NG" right now and I can't actually continue to build in parallel
>>> because of this breakage?
>> Only the actual building is done in jails.  When poudriere first starts
>> up, it looks at the list of ports that you want to build and then uses
>> the Makefiles for each of those ports to determine the dependencies of
>> each and the proper build order.
>
> That doesn't make sense...  the host has for months been well behind
> both my tree and the ng trees... all the versions would be way out of
> whack and even some not existing (ruby comes to mind.)

As I mentioned previously, poudriere is just a shell script so it isn't
tightly bound to the version of the ports tree.  What caused the problem
that you are seeing now is that the ports framework changed in a way
that is not compatible with really old versions of poudriere.  Basically
the output of "make -V BUILD_DEPENDS" changed from
blah:/path/to/ports/category/port to blah:category/port, and the old
version of poudriere can't cope with that.

>> The ports tree used by each build jail is not related to any ports tree
>> on the host (unless you do something like "poudriere ports -c -F -f none
>> -M /usr/ports -p systemports", see
>> <https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/doc/trunk/doc/use_system_ports_tree.wiki>).
>> It's possible to run poudriere without having /usr/ports installed on
>> the host.
>
> Will check this - if it mounts the local copy of the tree this would
> probably fix it.
>>
>> If you think this is a security risk, you could run poudriere in a VM.
> They already are in VMs.. but if poudriere make modifications to the OS
> then it is a security issue.  If it modifies/builds packages that's fine.
>
> ... let me expand on that ... anything that modifies something in the
> base OS unless specifically designed and approved to interact with the
> OS (eg puppet) then as far as I am concerned (and my employer) it's a
> security risk.  Can't have things willy nilly changing the OS, it will
> eventually break stuff and that could cause/lead to production
> outages... it's just not done.

I don't think it's changing anything in the base OS.  It sounds to me
like the problem is confined to upgrading old-style pkg repositories to
the NG when you try to update some of the packages contained in them,
which is not what you want in this case.

You should be able to install a newer version of poudriere alongside the
old one.  Just call it poudriere-ng or something.  Just be sure not to
run it on one of your old pkg repositories.  You might even be able to
edit the script to bail out if it detects and old-style pkg repository
as an anti-foot-shooting measure.