Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:31:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charles Martin <martin@chasm.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 4.0 on Sony Vaio PCG-F490 laptop

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 on my Sony Vaio PCG-F490 laptop.  The
laptop comes configured with a C and D drive.  In the partition editor I
deleted the (extended) D partition and recreated it as a FreeBSD partition.
I installed the standard FreeBSD BootMgr.  The install seemed to go without
difficulty.

Upon rebooting, I was presented with the F1; DOS, F2: FreeBSD choice, with
F1 preselected.  However, I could not select F2; my machine simple beeped
at me when I tried.  Going back to the partition editor, I see that the
geometry is 2205/255/63, so the C partition ending at 18876374 seems to use
1175 cylinders; I guess this is why I can't boot the FreeBSD partition, it
is past 1024.

But more alarming to me was the result of trying to boot Windows.  I get
the following:

    ERROR: Unable to control A20 line!
           XMS Driver not installed.
    [A McAfee VirusScan takes place and completes successfully.]
    Insufficient memory.
    Insufficient memory.
    Press any key to continue...
    HIMEM.SYS is missing.
    Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory.
    C:\>

(So Windows never does fully boot.)  I check C:\WINDOWS and indeed
HIMEM.SYS is there.  Can someone tell me: (A) How to get my Windows machine
back, and (B) How I should go about resizing the C partition to get my
FreeBSD root below cylinder 1024?

(Do you think the BootMgr wiped out something critical?  If so, how can I
get it back?)

Thanks!