Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:03:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default FS Layout Too Small?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> Sean Bruno wrote:
> cd /usr/src
> make installkernel
> .... this dies with a "file system full" error
> rm -r /boot/kernel.old
> make installkernel

Although I wouldn't recommend it "in general", for your case I would
make sure everything you need is configured into the kernel you build
(so it doesn't need any loadable modules) and then:

   cd /usr/src/sys/<arch>/compile/GENERIC
   mkdir /boot/kernel.new
   cp kernel /boot/kernel.new

so that you can boot the new one and see it work before deleting the
old one.

Just a suggestion, rick