Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:32:40 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bottle o' WINE

* keith@mail.telestream.com <keith@mail.telestream.com> [000211 14:20] wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * nathan <beemern@ksu.edu> [000211 13:23] wrote:
> > > are there ANY success stories running WINE on an SMP system?
> > >
> > > i JUST upgraded to 4.0-current with the intent of installing/running
> > > WINE.
> > >
> > > it STILL won't work...
> > >
> > > i'm not gonna bore anyone with details... just would like to know if
> > > anyone can vouch that it IS at least POSSIBLE to run WINE under
> > > 4.0-current on SMP hardware
> >
> > Yeah, details might actually help us fix the problem, please be
> > even more vague in your next email if at all possible.
> >

> You must not have read the mail very well. He is not asking for fix
> for it, just asking if there are any success stories.

I did read the email, he posted that he had a problem and didn't
even give any hint as to what it was.

There's a couple of problems with doing that:

1)
I don't want FreeBSD to need about a dozen off site 'HOWTOs' that
tell people how to hack FreeBSD in order to get program XYZ to
run, I want them to run without third party hacks.

2)
Without posting any details he's basically asking for the mailing list
to be flooded with "have you tried foo or bar?" when he may already
have tried them.

I'm pretty sure the charter for this list asks for as much detail
as possible to avoid this sort of situation.

see item #6.
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

3)
It promotes the cycle of "well it works for me" responces that makes it
pretty much manditory for him to post the actual problem.

4)
And if he's running 4.0 he ought to know better.

-Alfred