Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:51:55 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm impressed, but ...

On 2002-11-25 16:00:52 (-0800), Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Philip Paeps wrote:
> > > The "maildirs issue", I won't comment on, at this time.
> >
> > I hope I can provide enough information for someone to solve it though :-)
> > It would be nice to be able to read my mail 'reliably' :-)
>
> The problem is not the amount, but the type of information.
>
> You need to characterize the problem well enough that you can write a little
> program that can repeat it on someone else's machine, without them having to
> create an installation identical to yours on a scratch box ...particularly
> when it looks like if they tried that, it would work for them.

That sounds like the first law of debugging to me :-)

> Right now, there are other people using the same software that can't repeat
> the problem.
>
> Without knowing whether or not you are both/neither/or-or-the-other using
> NFS, etc., it's really impossible to even point you in the right direction
> (NFS is my hunch, in this case; it's a common reason for use of "maildirs",
> to try and side-step locking issues).

I was also starting to think in the NFS direction.  It's one of the reasons I
use Maildirs.  My setup is a bit convoluted too.  This machine (the one now
running -current and hanging) plays NFS server.  The mailserver mounts the
maildir and writes mail into it.

Now, the 'hangs' appear to be somewhat random, I can open a few mailfolders
without issues, then suddenly I get a hang if I try another one.  Also, I
notice that when I send a mail when I'm in a folder which is set up to save
mails in itself (what a ridiculous sentence), they don't get saved until a
while later.

I'm going to fiddle a bit with my setup and see if I can reliably reproduce
hangs.  'Random' is very difficult to debug, I know :-/

> You probably need to get together with the other person who said they were
> *not* having a problem, and do a detailed compare on system configuration,
> if all other things are equal.

So who is this mysterious other person? :-)

I'll get back with some more concrete information as soon as I have some.
It's an intriguing challenge.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
philip@paeps.cx                                       subscribed to the list.

  BOFH Excuse #2:
    solar flares