Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:07:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <tonym@biolateral.com.au>
To:        mike@adept.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'losing' every second packet

Hello,

Mike Hoskins  wrote:

> Rather than deleting all entries, does simply re-establishing the
> gateway's entry have a simialr effect?

Well I can confirm that 'arp -ad' fixes my problem.
Also the latest 'lose every second packet' problem occured at about
the same time as a dhcp lease was due to expire (or rebind).

Comparing data from /var/db/dhclient.leases and messages from
/var/log/messages there appears to be a correlation (out by exactly 30 mins):

  rebind 5 2002/10/4 01:57:49;
  Oct  4 01:27:49 c17160 dhclient: New Network Number: 210.49.150.0
  Oct  4 01:27:49 c17160 dhclient: New Broadcast Address: 210.49.150.255

  No network problems. Unlikely there was any traffic going thru firewall.

  rebind 5 2002/10/4 12:30:06;
  Oct  4 12:00:06 c17160 dhclient: New Network Number: 210.49.150.0
  Oct  4 12:00:06 c17160 dhclient: New Broadcast Address: 210.49.150.255

  Problem occured after this event. Likely significant network traffic
  going thru firewall.

This seems to indicate a problem with the rebind of dhcp leases and
traffic going thru the firewall.  It would explain why I see this problems
at random intervals from 12 to 72hrs (and usually around the 24hr mark).

> Packet analysis is certainly a useful tool at this point...

Hopefully next time I get the problem I will be at home and can access the
firewall machine internally and can try just reseting the gateway entry and
some packet analysis as suggested.

thanks
--
tonym