Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 13:44:57 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4-stable won't boot

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:35:55PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just did a cvsup to RELENG_4 about noon EST today (Wed), built world,
> > installed a new kernel, and rebooted.  now, when I boot, I get the
> > following:
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
> > no such device 'ad'
>
> Sounds like you left the 'ad' device out of your new kernel config.  Bad
> idea. 8)

For what it's worth, I had similar problems recently as well, although
I was getting ata_master: timeout waiting for command (from memory),
however I did have the ad device, and the problem seemed to be related
to some sort of conflict that appeared only when I had one of the
following also in the kernel :

options AUTO_EOI_1
options AUTO_EOI_2
device pcm
device pcf

I've not narrowed it down much yet, but suffice it to say that I got
almost the same problem described above, but which automagically fixed
itself once I took out the above 4 lines.

I doubt it's anything to do with this, but I thought I'd mention it in
case someone following this thread knows why this might happen.

I will look into it further once I've got the time to recompile another
20+ kernels and test them.

	Steve