Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:46:38 +0100
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "private" DNS by-passing my ISPs? (Was: Re: /etc/hosts vs. DNS for local-only machines)

This may be a _very_ stupid question, but here goes:

Is it possible for me to run my own DNS-server, which will "by-pass" my
ISPs ditto?

I understand that my "traffic" must go through my ISP, but
must I use their DNS-servers (which are frequently down, thus not
allowing me to "go" anywhere)?

I've been studying DNS resources on the net for some time now, but I
find the material hard to grasp, as I don't really know *what* I'm
looking for. :-)

There's no LAN here, just a stand-alone FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE box
connected via cable modem.

--
Martin Karlsson
		<martin.karlsson at visit.se>