Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:26:25 +0000
From:      Harry Newton <hn@yewbarrow.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regression between 9-RELEASE and 9-STABLE [PCIB ?]

Not really. Verbose suggests it completes the scan of the PCI to LPC
Bridge and PCI to PCI bridge. Comparing with a working verbose boot,
the next stage, which isn't reached, is HyperTransport Technology
Configuration.

Trying BUS_DEBUG, I got a lot of this:

device_add_child_ordered: 1813: (null) at pci with orer 0 as unit -1
make_device: 1698: (null) at pci as unit -1

I neglected to say before: the machine's been running FreeBSD 7-STABLE
quite happily with no problems.

- Harry

On 28 February 2012 20:08, Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote=
:
> On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 19:15 +0000, Harry Newton wrote:
>> 9-RELEASE works fine. csup to 9-STABLE and make buildworld kernel etc
>> gives a system the hangs during the boot process. There are no error
>> messages during the part boot, and no panic. Last messages before hang
>> are:
>>
>> pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
>> pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
>>
>> I am stumped about how to diagnose this, and would be _very_ grateful
>> for any suggestions.
>>
>> When it's hung I can't force a break to debugger (BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER)
>> in kern conf: I imagine I'm too early in the boot sequence.
>>
>> - Harry
>>

> I assume booting verbose doesn't provide any more clues? =A0I've sometime=
> gotten an extra clue from a hang during boot by building with option
> BUS_DEBUG. =A0Even if you don't suspect the newbus routines as directly
> being the problem, sometimes you get a bit more info about what was
> happening at the time of lockup.
>
> -- Ian

--=20
Harry Newton