Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:20:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Jeroen Heijungs <Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware Dell or BSDi

:Hello all,
:
:We are going to buy our first 1U 19" rack server (pizzacarton size), and
:probably there will be more in the future, they have to run FreeBSD
:4.1-stable.
:
:Normally we buy all our hardware at Dell, they also have this kind of
:servers, for instance the PowerApp Web 100, we have also seen this kind of
:servers form BSDi.com, they have FreeBSD preinstalled, and say they are
:completely optimized. But they are considerably more expensive.
:
:Can anyone tell me more about both these servers, how good is the BSDi
:machine (and the organization), does FreeBSD install on the Dell and so on?
:
:tia
:Jeroen Heijungs
:Het Muziektheater
:Amsterdam, The Netherlands

    I don't know about the BSDi box, but we have a bunch of 2U VALINUX
    boxes and a few 2U Dell 2450's.  Both work quite well.  We decided to
    go with 2U because the 1U boxes wouldn't fit four 70GB scsi HD's, or
    at least, not in a manner that I'd be comfortable with :-). I think the
    VALINUX boxes have an edge over the DELLs in price.... a very
    significant edge when you load high-end hardware into them.  I've
    noticed that DELL charges a ridiculous premium when you order their
    boxes in big disk and/or memory configurations.  However, the DELLs
    use higher quality construction.

    Unless you intend to load a rack completely full of machines and have
    the cooling to match, 1U probably isn't worth the effort.

						-Matt