Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:19:31 +0400
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current panics..

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 10:02:52AM -0700, David Greenman wrote:
# >#    Wcarchive does NOT run a standard kernel. It has various tweaks, such as
# ># greatly expanded kernel virtual address space, which are specific to that
# ># machine and not appropriate for 99.999% of FreeBSD users. NMBCLUSTERS on
# ># wcarchive is currently set to 80000, but will need to be doubled again to
# ># 160000 before we can support 10000 concurrent users. The VM is evenly split
# ># for 2GB for user processes and 2GB for the kernel (contrast that with
# ># standard FreeBSD which is 3.75GB user and .25GB kernel).
# >
# >Could it be an option then, since it looks like we, the 0.001% of FreeBSD
# >users seem to exist.
#
#    Making FreeBSD more dynamically configuring has always been a long term
# goal. There isn't any magic configuration option that I can make for "big
# systems", because there are many factors to consider and the system simply
# has to be tuned to the specific work load. The analysis and tuning is complex
# enough that it's something that I charge money to do for people.

There was a 2.1.0 when we used to have the same squid with approximately the
same quantity of clients and there was working dealloc methodic which was gone
in 2.2.x and, of course, 3.0. It now looks like there's still problems with
mbuf allocation/leeks and so on (see PR's) and the OS will not work when it
is supposed to be 'a big system' out of the box. Can I read the answer as
"FreeBSD is not supposed to be working as huge networking servers out of
the box"?

# David Greenman

--
-mishania, who's not trying to be aggressive or something, just very puzzled.