Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:54:35 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suspected bad block

"Kenneth D. Merry" writes:
> David Kelly wrote...
> > Am running "dd if=/dev/rda0c ibs=64k of=/dev/null" on the device right
> > now to see if I can prompt the problem again. Or if the drive has
> > already remapped it.
>
> You'll probably see the error again.  The drive can generally only remap a
> block if it has good data to put in place of the data it can't retrieve.
> Sometimes it can use ECC data to reconstruct the block, but if it can't, it
> probably won't be able to remap it.  (There are rules the drive follows,
> which can be adjusted in mode page 1.  Read the SCSI spec for details.)

Well, it make a complete pass of dd without complaining. Maybe it got
remapped later. If the drive remaps a block, will it be reported and
appear in /var/log/messages?

In any case I now know where the block is. So might be able to script
dd to give the area a good workout with reads.

> > Have mentioned in the past, camcontrol isn't quite
> > happy with the above HD and Asus SC875 SCSI card:
[...]
> Yeah, I think I remember your saying something about it.  I will say that
> IBM drives typically don't like the block defect format.  The physical
> sector format usually works for most drives.  Quantum disks often work with
> the block format, but Seagate and IBM don't.
>
> It would help if I could figure out what the error above from the NCR
> driver means.  Maybe if Stefan or Gerard are reading this, they might be
> able to help.
>
> If I get time this weekend (and if I can remember) I may hook up a disk to
> an NCR controller and see if I can reproduce this.

None of the reporting formats work:
# camcontrol defects -f bfi -G
error reading defect list: Input/output error
# camcontrol defects -f phys -G
error reading defect list: Input/output error

This one was a little different. It takes longer so I timed it:
# time camcontrol defects -f phys -P
error reading defect list: Input/output error
0.002u 0.000s 0:03.87 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
# time camcontrol defects -f bfi -P
error reading defect list: Input/output error
0.000u 0.003s 0:03.88 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
# time camcontrol defects -f block -P
error reading defect list: Input/output error
0.000u 0.003s 0:03.94 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

for comparison's sake:
# time camcontrol defects -f phys -G
error reading defect list: Input/output error
0.000u 0.003s 0:00.01 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

Messages in /var/log/messages are identical for all of the above.

> Assuming you've got AWRE turned on, you can force the drive to remap the
> block, probably like this:
>
> camcontrol cmd -n da -u 0 -v -c "2a 0 1 09 b6 03 0 0 1 0" -o 512 - < /dev/null
>
> Use the above command at your own risk.  It should write one block worth of
> nulls to the bad sector in question, but I might have gotten it wrong.

Its late. I'm tired. For some reason the above tickled my funny bone. I
believe I will pass on trying the above. At least unless things get
worse.