Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:41:08 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Anatoliy Dmytriyev <tolid@plab.ku.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS_DIRHASH - your opinion

In message <20011024213355.A76424@lanczos.maths.tcd.ie>, David Malone
writes:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:32:10PM +0200, Anatoliy Dmytriyev wrote:
> > I installed on my home box 4.4-RELEASE and found in the LINT new option
> > UFS_DIRHASH. What do you think about this?
>
> Well, here we are using the code on out news server, cvsup server
> and NFS server without any problems. Mind you, Ian Dowse who wrote
> the dirhash code works here, so we may be biased ;-)
>
> > I know this is experimental code but have you experience with
> > UFS_DIRHASH? And have I reasons include this option in my kernel?
>
> If you have directories which contains lots of files which are
> accessed repeatedly then it may be a win for you.

This seems like a useful feature.  Should this be the default or is it
risky as LINT suggests?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC