Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:42:04 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnconfig & FAT filesystem -- supported?

Dag-Erling Smorgrav:
 |Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net> writes:
 |> Is it possible to mount a DOS FAT file system as a vnode disk?
 |> If so, I guess I don't know the trick:
 |>
 |>   # vnconfig /dev/vn0 /data/doscmd_C_drive
 |>   # mount -t msdos /dev/vn0a /mnt
 |>   msdos: /dev/vn0a: Invalid argument
 |
 |Does that file have a partition table?

Yes, ...and with you asking that question, I think I have an idea what
might be going on.

doscmd_C_drive is a dd of the disk, and its a sliced disk.  So it contains
not just the contents of the DOS slice (/dev/wd?s?) but also the first head
of the first track (/dev/wd? -- i.e. MBR + 62 sectors of blank space, then
slice boot record, FAT, directory, data).  I bet this is throwing
mount_msdos off.

If this sounds right, is there a way to, say, mount everything in the file
except the first 63 "sectors" (63 * 512 bytes) of the file as the DOS
filesystem?  I checked the vnconfig man page, but didn't see an offset
parameter.

Is there a way to create a file which is just a "window" into a portion of
another file?  I could omit the 1st 63*512 bytes, and then vnconfig vn0
with that.

Randall