Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:54:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        jake@checker.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum in -current

On Friday, 18 June 1999 at  9:35:21 +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 June 1999 at  9:18:27 -0700, Jake Burkholder wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> /sys/modules/Makefile:
>>> # XXX vinum removed pending cdevsw changes review by grog.
>>>
>>> will a module from before the change (May 23rd) work with a new kernel?
>>> or can the patches that were sent be made available?
>>
>> Ugh.  Somebody (I know who, but I'm not going to put him to shame in
>> public) told me that phk had committed the changes.  I didn't know
>> that jb then went and removed them.  I know we've been flaming phk for
>> committing changes without reference, but since I was unreachable for
>> a long time, I believe this was the correct thing to do.  I'll review
>> the changes and reenable the build.  Sorry for the delay.
>
> <Grumble>
>
> Hey, that's not true!
>
> phk noted in his commit message for all the _other_ stuff that he had
> posted vinum and i4b patches to the respective owners for review. I sent
> him mail saying that you were travelling and that he probably should
> commit the vinum patches without the review. He said he would prefer to
> take vinum out of the build instead. He said he would be offline for a
> few hours and if I was online, would I go ahead and make the commit.
> So I committed just the makefile change to prevent the build from
> failing. Check the cvs history and you will find _no_ vinum commits
> from me!
>
> </Grumble>

Well, first, I'm not criticising anybody (much).  We've had enough
unpleasantness in the past, and I'm sure everybody was doing things
with the best of intentions.  What I saw was:

RCS file: /src/ncvs/src/sys/modules/Makefile,v
[snip]
----------------------------
revision 1.63
date: 1999/06/02 07:15:17;  author: jb;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
Remove vinum from the build until Greg reviews phk's cdevsw changes.

Preferred by: phk (rather than committing the patch without review).
----------------------------
revision 1.62
date: 1999/05/15 06:13:27;  author: grog;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -5
Reenable vinum build.
revision 1.61
date: 1999/05/13 09:43:29;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -2
Vinum doesn't compile right now.

Looking at it again, I confused 1.61 and 1.63 (which were, in fact, a
couple of weeks apart).  OK, I have a machine to rebuild (system disk
on my test machine is gradually giving up the ghost), and I hope I'll
have a working Vinum again later today (Friday).

Greg