Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic (witness_destroy+0x237) after booting today's -CURRENT

CVSup was finished shortly before 04:00 (AM) PDT.  Noted ru's change
to xinstall.c to permit -C & -d together, so I re-uncommented the line
in /etc/make.conf, and the resulting buildworld/kernel/installworld/
mergemaster completed uneventfully (within an X environment) -- that was
running on yesterday's -CURRENT.  So that's rather encouraging.  :-}

Went ahead & booted the new (today's) -CURRENT in multi-user mode.  I
(belatedly) recalled that it would be "nice" if I connected the box to
a network, so I inserted the Cisco/Aironet 340 card that I usually use
-- but I did so well after /etc/rc had started running, but before xdm
(invoked from a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d) fired up.

Actually, I inserted the card, waited a few minutes, ejected it, and
re-inserted it.  pccardd seemed to do the right thing; dhclient kicked
in, and acquired an IP address, and a custom /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
script determined a hostname based on that.  (The first time around,
the dhclient-exit-hooks script had not managed to get a hostname.)

I had switched from the X environment to vty1 (Alt+Ctrl+F2) so I could
see what was going on a little better (and avoid having the value for
"hostname" change out from underneath the X server).

Once I saw that I had a real hostname, I hit ^D at the shell prompt, put
my fingers in position to hit Alt+F9, and

kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at      witness_destroy+0x237:  cmpl    %esi,0xc(%edx)
db> trace
witness_destroy(ce7e211c,ce7e211c,ce894f3c,c01ce297,ce7e211c) at witness_destroy+0x237
mtx_destroy(ce7e211c,ce7e2000,ce7e277c,ce7e2660,4) at mtx_destroy+0x73
wait1(ce7e2660,ce894f80,0,ce894fa0,c036e899) at wait1+0x897
wait4(ce7e2660,ce894f80,bfbfb8dc,2,2)) at wait4+0x10
syscall(2f,2f,2f,2,2) at syscall+0x71d
syscall_with_err_pushed() at syscall_with_err_pushed+0x1b
db>

It's still sitting at that prompt; I can leave it that way for a while
yet, in case it might be useful to poke around a bit more.

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.