Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 11:39:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        matt@abraxas.wustl.edu (Matt Massie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tarring to disks

Matt Massie stands accused of saying:
> I have a simple question.  How can I make backups to 1.44MB disks usings
> tar?  I would also like to filter the tar file through gzip as well in
> order to reduce the number of disks that I use.

 -L 1440 is the option you want, in conjunction with --block-compress.

> Matt Massie

Note that I really don't recommend compressing your backups; if you lose one
floppy, you've lost everything following it in the backup.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[