Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:19:44 +0900
From:      Tomoaki NISHIYAMA <tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

From: Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:00:45 +0100 (BST)

dfr> > The reason why newconfig will put the information in a file
dfr> > is to make the user-configuration easier.
dfr> > The reason of new-bus to put the information in individual driver
dfr> > is to make it easier to load the module dynamic.
dfr> > Is this recognition right? I would like to hear from both sides.
dfr>
dfr> This is right.
dfr>
dfr> The reason device attachment points are not specified in the config file
dfr> is that I don't think the user should need to care how the hardware in
dfr> their machine works in order to get FreeBSD working.
dfr>
Hearing the discussion in Japanese, the files file in newconfig
is not only used for user configuration, but is essential to
guarantee the modularity of the drivers.

We would have separate modules for bus interface and bus independent part
of a device driver. This is important because a device may be connected to
different device and thus there is bus dependent and independent codes.
Bus independent code should be the same for different interfaces.

Now my question is if new-bus architecture provides a framework
to separate the bus interface and bus independent part of a
device driver.
--------
Tomoaki Nishiyama
  e-mail:tomoaki@biol.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
         Department of Biological Sciences,
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo