Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:37:23 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: buildenv target

John Baldwin wrote this message on Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:11 -0500:
> Did you know that you can just do:
>
> make kernel-toolchain TARGET_ARCH=arm
> make buildkernel TARGeT_ARCH=arm KERNCONF=TS7200

yes, I did, and the problem is that this is extreamly slow if you've
only modified one line of one file for testing...  Do you build all of
your kernels this way??

> That's rather easy.  You can even cross-build against a different kernel tree
> (I use this a lot for my p4 trees).  For example:
>
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 KERNCONF=LINT KERNSRCDIR=/home/john/work/p4/proc \
>     buildkernel NO_MODULES=yes
>
> With repeated builds (e.g. when fixing compile errors) adding
> NO_KERNELCLEAN=yes NO_KERNELDEPEND=yes is good as well.

I really hate having to remeber and type those everytime that I build a
kernel...  You're also forgetting NO_KERNELCONFIG=yes to that... since
if it's just a typo, you usually don't need a config for a typo...

yes, there are other complex solutions, but I'd like a simplier solution,
and one that is a lot more friendly to my fingers...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579