Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 07:37:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: /etc maintainence

On 19-Jun-98 Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> Who has tools (even halfhearted perl scripts) to make -current /etc
> maintainance easier?  Eg, adding/changing entries in crontab to keep
> up with -current, while maintaining your own local entries?

I use RCS to store keep my local additions in and use symbolic
links for the official name of the file to the machines local version, prefixed
with the hostname. This means I can have just one RCS directory for all of my
machines and have common/net specific and host specific files. e.g
        ln -s ./computer.rc.conf.local rc.conf.local

When I have a new /etc I run a script that:
        1) an rcsclean in the original etc.
        2) get a list of file names I'm interested in
        3) for any of the names that don't exist in the new etc. create a
           symbolic link.
        4) for each file that does exist in the new etc look for a file with the
           same name but prefixed with ~. If the diff between them is zero
           move the file in the new etc to name~ and create the symbolic link.
        4a) if the two differ then print a warning.
        5) do something similar with directories like ppp.
        6) check out all the RCS files.
This way I automatically update the new etc when files in it haven't changed
since the last build. For files that need looking at all you need to
do is check them, tweak up the local configuration and move the file in the
new etc to file~, then re-run the script.

Using this I keep all my configurations for all my machines
in a single place (makes backup very easy, just keep a copy
of the RCS directory, home directries and the package list on tape).

> Happy hacking,
> joelh
>
> --
> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
>    Fourth law of programming:
>    Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

---