Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:03:09 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        knu@iDaemons.org (Akinori MUSHA)
Cc:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG (Maxim Sobolev), portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nakai@FreeBSD.ORG, dr@domix.de, demon@FreeBSD.ORG, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG, mi@aldan.algebra.com, ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, roman@xpert.com, greg@hewgill.com, jedgar@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG, samy@goldmoon.org, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG, kanou@mil.allnet.ne.jp
Subject:   Re: Introducing USE_BZIP2{CMD,LIB,RUN} and BZIP2BASE

> At Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:13:20 +0300,
> sobomax wrote:
> > It can be done simpler than that. Just turn archivers/bzip2 into a
> > stub port if the system already has shared library and executable
> > installed in the /usr/bin /usr/lib, i.e. teach it to not build
> > anything in this case, but just install appropriate symlinks. We
> > have already too many OSVERSION dependend hacks in bsd.port.mk, so
> > it would be nice to avoid another one.
>
> It might be simpler, but it's uglier because it's not the right step
> to the eventual removal of the archivers/bzip2 port.
>
> Once we replace the bzip2 dendencies with the new variables, we can
> retire the bzip2 port at any time by just modifying bsd.port.mk a bit.

I do not see any problems with retiring bzip2 port in my variant -
when the time has came just remove archivers/bzip2 and its traces
in RUN/LIB/BUILD_DEPENDS of various ports. The former is common
for both scenarios, while you have to do the latter at the beginning
of your scenario anyway (i.e. convert RUN/LIB/BUILD_DEPENDS into
various USE_*).

-Maxim