Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:06:30 +0200
From:      Lodewijk Koopman <lkoopman@gong.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb 2.0 and re(4) on 6.2-BETA2

Hi,

I have installed FreeBSD 6.2 BETA2 on a Intel Core 2 Duo system with
ASUS P5B motherboard. Although BETA2 works rather good in general, I'm
having some issues with fast usb and the onboard lan chip. I could not
find these same issues in the mailing lists, so I hope someone can point
me in the right direction.

USB
I'm using an internal multi-card reader, that only seems to work with
ehci disabled in the kernel. So it only works at usb 1.1. If I try the
GENERIC kernel (which has ehci enabled) I get the following error
messages, which lock up the system (added USB_DEBUG):

umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Request completed with CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR

repeated 5 times, and then:

(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 5
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retries Exausted

Then another disk is opened, and the above repeats itself.

This error does not show up on every reboot. I tried the following
patch, which seemed to work for a while:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2006-September/002574.html

Although the error message in the above post is different from what I
see. After I had installed GNOME 2.16.1, with hald enabled, the error
showed up again, however. So I don't know if the patch had any
(positive) effect at all.

As said before, when I disable ehci, and enable hald, the card reader
works. My /var/log/messages is now flooded with the following message
(and the like):

Opened disk da3 -> 6
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error

This used to be normal at boot. Is this some kind of hald thingy?

RE(4) LAN
The ASUS P5B has an onboard Realtek 8168B/8111B ethernet chip. It is
detected and hooked up to re0, but I get very bad network connectivity.
Some sites work, some don't. If I load www.google.com for instance the
page keeps loading indefinitely, and I only see the top part of the
page. The same chip works correctly under Windows XP. The output of
tcpdump shows some bad chksum errors, but I don't know if that is
normal. I now reverted to an old Realtek 8139D pci card, which works fine.

The re(4) man page does not mention this chipset. Is it supposed to be
supported?

If additional information is needed, please let me know. Are these known
issues, with perhaps known solutions? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Lodewijk Koopman