Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:37:38 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: size of debug symbols

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= writes:

>  On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:07-0500, Robert Huff wrote:
>
>  > I can no longer build large programs - e.g. www/webkit*, devel/llvm*
>  > - using "WITH_DEBUG=yes" because it will inevitably consume 22+
>  > gbytes of disk space.  (I complained about this before, and had no
>  > answer as to what was going on or how to fix it.)  This did not
>  > happen under 11.*.
>
>  What happens if you confine WITH_DEBUG=yes to /etc/src.conf? This
>  way it should only affect base unless I'm mistaken.

	I was about to say "I expect that would work.".	But: given the
size of the kernel, it is a fact not in evidence it won't have the same
problems.
	It would also leave me with applications that are ... difficult
... to debug using traditional methods.
	(And more generally, I am concerned something like this can
change to such a degree either without being noticed or without being
documented.  (_Is_ there documentation, other than complaints on the
mailing lists?  I don't see anything in src/UPDATING, ports/UPDATING,
or (after a quick skim) in the Handbook.  I'd love to be wrong here.)
One of my selling points for FreeBSD is the high quality of the
documentation; this puts that in doubt.)

		Respectfully,

			Robert Huff