Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:02:01 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>, JT32255@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Use a Daemon as a Symbol since it alienates many?

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 03:28 AM, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:

> 	Grow ups or not and as ridiculous as it may sound and probably is,
> these are both good points and they both could have effect on FreeBSD's
> popularity, the satan looking symbol and the hostility towards
> Berkeley.
> As for the symbol, well, I would expect it to look something more world
> wide acceptable, neutral, and cute, like Penguin is and not as a
> "demon". We all know the difference between "daemons" and "demons",
> however, there are plenty of people that don't and as far as popularity
> goes compared to Linux, well, popular doesn't necessarily mean a
> "kitchen sink" linux OS, IF HANDLED RIGHT of course, and I am sure that
> there isn't anyone here that wouldn't like FreeBSD being popular. After
> all, I think it deserves a lot more than Linux does and the way these
> third party linux companies such as RedHat and SuSE are handling it.

I'd love to know who exactly it alienates besides some hicks that
wouldn't use it anyway?

> I am moving this to -chat. It doesn't belong here.
>
> Regards,
> Lefteris
>
> Paul Everlund wrote:
>>
>> JT32255@aol.com wrote:
>>> The traditional devil horns derive from goats, which if you have
>>> ever been
>>> around goats, seen how they can climb, eat all vegetation in sight,
>>> climb
>>> trees, get on roofs, etc., how kids gambol, is understandable.  But
>>> it
>>> alienates so many.

Heh the imagery is far older than that, goes back to mesopotamia, there
was a night demon that many think the modern imagery for the devil
descended from.  Also it wasnt just the goat, but couldbe any animal,
often a goat, or a bull, or a dog or some other animal.

>>>  But as it alienates so many Christians, Jews and Muslims
>>> as a little Satan symbol, really limits the widespread use, public
>>> and tax
>>> paid support and availability of BSD.  A better symbol might be the
>>> statue of
>>> liberty, or the creator of the first Library, Aristotle.  The
>>> Penguin symbol
>>> is LINUX' best advantage over BSD, not to mention all the public
>>> hostility
>>> towards Berkley.

All the public hostility towards Berkley?  Where exactly?  And imho the
linux is annoying but it never stopped me from trying Linux.