Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:49:42 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: two problems in dev/e1000/if_lem.c::lem_handle_rxtx()

On Friday, January 18, 2013 9:30:40 am Barney Cordoba wrote:

> [...]

If there are multiple threads with the same priority then batching the work up
into chunks allows the scheduler to round-robin among them.  However, when a
task requeues itself that doesn't actually work since the taskqueue thread
will see the requeued task before it yields the CPU.  Alternatively, if you
force all the relevant interrupt handlers to use the same thread pool and
instead of requeueing a separate task you requeue your handler in the ithread
pool then you can get the desired round-robin behavior.  (I have changes to
the ithread stuff that get us part of the way there in that handlers can
reschedule themselves and much of the plumbing is in place for shared thread
pools among different interrupts.)

--
John Baldwin