Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "customizing" FreeBSD installs

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> I'd like to know the implications of creating a "customized" FreeBSD install.
>
> Basically, since you know you're going to have this thing installed in, say,
> South Africa, you can make certain assumptions.  Basically, this entails
> changing a few files in /etc, like make.conf (for USA_RESIDENT,
> MASTER_SITE_BACKUP, etc) and similar files.
>
> I'd like to know whether doing something like this, changing a few
> configuration files, would be allowed, since I'd like to make FreeBSD more
> accessible for the many people I'm trying to convert here. (We have an
> ever-growing Linux base here who are interested in FreeBSD for the servers
> they administer, and I'd like to assimilate them sneakily. :>)

No problems.  If you sell it or whatever you have to abide by the terms of
the copyrights and all but if you're just using it for local/personal use
you should be fine.

> Another project I'm interested in is one that involves installing and
> configuring a couple of ports by default, in addition to the normal install.
> IE, a "directed" install, for specific use. (I would start a company to do
> this, but location and other problems prevent, so I'd like to make this
> "freely" available.)

You can do this through sysinstall's install.cfg mechanism.  You'll have
to checkout an entire source tree to roll your own installer; check the
sysinstall manpage for details.  You can view it by running 'groff -Tascii
/usr/src/release/sysinstall/sysinstall.8 | more'.

> I just want to know where I stand "legally" (and, of course, also what the
> FreeBSD people think of it.)

If you want to sell it, you'll have to defer that to those more
experienced. :)  But by all means go for it.