Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:15:04 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with PVR 250 and MythTV

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

On Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 21:59:16 -0500, Joe Auty wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> * Before you can use the card, you need to tune to a signal.
>>  Currently the program pvr250-setchannel does that; effectively the
>>  same program exists in 7-CURRENT as setchannel, and I'll MFC it when
>>  I'm happy with the rest.
>>
>>  Tune like this:
>>
>>     $ setchannel -m <channel-set> channel-no
>>
>>  If you're in the USA using terrestial TV, <channel-set> is 1.  Cable
>>  is 2.  If you're using a satellite connection, you'll need some kind
>>  of converter.
>>
>>  I'm not sure about the status of the man page for setchannel, but if
>>  you run it without arguments you should get a help message.
>
> Getting some TV now, and Myth is working! Yeeaaahhh!!!
>
> I don't have a "setchannel" tool, but I have a pvr250-setchannel
> which seems identical in design.

Yes, as I said, it's the same program.  I renamed it because the old
name is too much work to type.

> Just FYI, all my PC is doing is receiving a signal from my satellite
> box via a connection split between my TV and PC from my satellite
> receiver - a very crude setup jerry-rigged with a little $20
> splitter doohickey you can buy from just about anywhere. It cannot
> change channels and does not manipulate the signal at all - it is
> basically a "line in" for the raw signal sent from my satellite
> receiver - the same signal my TV receives.

OK, that makes sense, though it's not ideal for quality.  But for that
we'll need DVB-S card support, or whatever the US equivalent is.

> I just got everything working by typing:
>
> pvr250-setchannel -m 1 4
>
> I was entering both the wrong channel before and using the -t flag. I
> guess it is understandable that I don't want to try to actually
> change the channel by invoking the tuner, just want to set the card
> to listen in on the right channel, or something like that.

This is quite interesting, in fact.  Using usleepless' driver, I found
that I often needed to use -t, and that it wouldn't work without it.
My guess is that -t switches inputs, and that it's only needed if the
current input is something else.

Greg

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY--