Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 07:52:30 +1000
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netboot without BOOTP/DHCP

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996 10:52:18 -0500 (EST)  Robert N Watson wrote:

> I'd like to use netboot and a reduced kernel to load up FreeBSD
> occasionally on my old 386 (which used to be my primary BSD system
> back in 2.0 :) -- does anyone have a modified netboot that has a
> hardcoded set of IP's to use, instead of bootp?

Someone was working on this; I haven't heard recently.  One gross hack
is to boot from a floppy disk with a modified init that chroots the
whole system.

This sounded a wierd suggestion when it was made to me, but I did try
it and it did work.  The output of mount(8) was a little confusing
though!  [Code available if I haven't already tossed it on the grounds
of ugliness.]

> Would it be relatively easy (or hard) to modify  netboot to use
> a config file with settings specific to that PC instead of relying on
> bootp?

Easy     -- hard code the IP addresses in the netboot code
Middling -- use a configuration file (probably requires a DOS C compiler)
Hard     -- much anything else

Giles