Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:12:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        clkao@CirX.ORG (Chia-liang Kao)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with vr0

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Chia-liang Kao
had to walk into mine and say:

> * And you have your vr0 interface and your roommate's vr0 interface both
> * connected to this _same_ hub as well? (See, this is why I yell: I can see
> * how somebody might try this and not think that it might cause problems.
> * If I was right there looking at your systems I could probably spot this
> * immediately, but it was only blind luck that you happened to mention
> * it now, otherwise I could have spent months going back and forth with
> * you via e-mail before finally dragging this piece of information out
> * of you.)
>
> Certainly not, sorry that I didn't specify precisely. I meant we used
> the hub very well connecting us and the outside world, and then we
> decided to use the hub for internal connection only. So the hub is now
> connecting our vr0's and nothing else. (Of course, the power adapter
> is connected. :)

Ah, okay. My bad. It sure looked like you were saying you had everything
attached to the same hub.

> We even swapped our cards and the result (the ping/trafshow test) is the same.
>
> Also, the vr0 currently on my box was originally his, and he used the
> card to connect outside world in the past. Shouldn't be a kernel
> issue, since I have tried to get it right by booting his kernel.

What kind of machine/CPU does your friend have?

> Anyway, I'll try the first two tests tomorrow. (Ya, you know it, I'll
> steal one.)
>
> * > vr0   1500  <Link>      00.80.c8.ef.82.09  16     0    15804     0     0
> * > vr0   1500  192.168.100   192.168.100.2    16     0    15804     0     0
> *
> * Hm... No transmit or receive errors. I wonder what all the output traffic is
> * though.
>
> When I ping him, he can receive my packets and replies, while I can't
> get his reply. I think that's where th output packet came from. (ie
> the icmp outgoing packets when I ping him). And `netstat -in' on his box
> shows the input and output packets on vr0 are nearly identical.

Hm. I have some more questions:

- In your first posting, you mentioned this:
  vr0: <VIA VT3043 Rhine I 10/100BaseTX> rev 0x06 int a irq 12 on pci0.19.0
  IRQ 12 is normally used by the mouse (if you have a PS/2 mouse). Do you
  have a mouse or PS/2 mouse port on this machine? (I suspect you don't but
  I have to ask.)

- How many PCI bus slots does your machine have?

- Have you tried putting the vr0 card in a different slot? Have you tried
  putting it in the slot where the de0 card is now?

- What PCI chipset do you have? The test machine in which I currently have
  my sample VIA Rhine card installed is an Intel Pentium 200 system that
  says the following:

  chip0 <Intel 82437VX PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0:0
  chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
  chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1
  [...]
  vr0 <VIA VT3043 Rhine I 10/100BaseTX> rev 6 int a irq 9 on pci0:15:0
  vr0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:0c:c0:01:e7
  vr0: autoneg complete, no carrier

- Can you show me the output of the following:

  pciconf -r pci0:19:0 0xc

  I want to see what the latency timer setting looks like.

This may be something do to with your particular PCI chipset or motherboard;
unfortunately, I have only Intel systems here so it's hard to duplicate
your exact setup.

-Bill