Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:09:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reading an IO address

I have a device which I need to use by reading an IO address.  However,
when I use

  val=inb(0x180)

the program coredumps with a "Bus error" message.  Interestingly enough, I
get the same message whether the card is in the slot or not.

*all* I need to do is read the IO address.  The value returned is
irrelavent, I'm just resetting a watchdog card.  According to the vendor,
the program I've got *should* work.  I understand that I really should be
using a device driver, but I have no idea how to create one and can't find
any help on it.

Can anyone help me here or point out a source for help writing such a
simple-minded device driver?

Cliff