Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:02:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alain Magloire <alainm@rcsm.ece.mcgill.ca>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad 'grep' behaviour in -CURRENT, faulty binary detection?

Bonjour M. Peter Jeremy

> On 1999-Nov-12 13:13:54 +1100, Alain Magloire wrote:
> >(On Solaris, you can read() a directory).
>
> On any real Unix you can read() a directory - `everything is a file'.

Yes, and real programmers do not eat quiche either.

For the Solaris comment, maybe I'm mistaken, maybe it was
Linux that could not open/read directories, I do not remember.

open()/read()'ing directories was never portable, even in the ranks of
"real" Unix.  Or perhaps depending on the filesystems it is not permitted it.

You don't like opendir() and its friends *dir() ?

--
au revoir, alain
----