Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:06:49 -0400
From:      Robert Hough <rch@acidpit.org>
To:        john <johng@musicman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Freezup

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001, john wrote:

> I've got a FreeBSD server running Apache that freezes up from time to
> time.  When this happens it does not recognize any keyboard input and I
> have to reboot the computer.

Sounds to me like a hardware problem. When a machine locks up at
irregular intervals, my first thought is heat. What type of CPU do you
have, does it have sufficient cooling? Most modern mothers boards have
the ability to monitor the temp. inside the case, and cpu temps. You
might try graphing those with MRTG, to see if you can establish some
type of trend there. Heat can cause extremely weird things to happen...

Memory too, can also be a cause of weird happenings. Though, it's been
my experience that you'll see more random core dumps than lock ups.

> When I do the reboot it is unable to mount the /usr/home/ file system,
> which is on da0 drive.  Then I have to do fsck da0s1h.  When this is done,
> I can mount /usr/home and do another reboot successfully.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Do you have soft updates enabled on that
file system? That might help aleviate some of the fsck'ing though.

> My question is, does anyone have any idea why this freezup might be
> happening?

Without more detailed information, it's really hard to say. However, I
would have to say the chances of your problem being hardware related are
a good 80%.

--
Robert Hough (rch@acidpit.org)