Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 02:39:24 +1000
From:      "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vt100 mysteries

Thanks to all who helped with my previous questions!

I can't resolve a problem related to vt100 (I think) so I'd better
spell it out. Yes I know there's hideous problems with different
ideas of vt100 but any near approximation of success would be
miraculous at this stage.

What I want to do:
Telnet (or dial even) in to my shell account and use apps there,
like I used to do from DOS dial-in or win/os2 PPP-telnet.

What I'm working with:
The ISP runs Linux, I'm set up there as vt100 and that seems
necessary for things like pine, lynx, irc, joe, tin, etc to work. My
shell on the linux system is bash, and here it's tcsh, but I'm happy
to use any shell. I'm not using xwindows at all but would consider
beating my ancient monitor into submission to do so if and only if
it's the only way to achieve a real solution. (Text mode is easier
on the eyes.) UserPPP seems to be working fine straight out of the
handbook/faq. The same apps (joe editor, lynx, tin, pine, ircII) work
fine if I run my own copy here, which I don't want to do.

What happens:
Whether I use telnet or minicom, it's hopeless. Strange characters
dancing all over the screen, bits of display moved to other areas of
the screen, typed characters not displaying, deleted characters
remaining, and cursor keys, control keys, etc have wildly
unpredictable results.

This is not at all surprising since my end says it's "cons25"
(whatever that is!). But when I changed it to vt100 there was a
difference but no improvement. And my local stuff like mc and lynx
didn't work right any more. My local stuff does work find with cons25
however.

How did I change to vt100? Aaah... I dunno. I read _every_word_ I
could find, whether I understood it or not, and did what it said.
About a dozen times, different ways. I also logged in as root and
answered the question with "vt100" and didn't have success either.

I could change some things at the linux end (after another 20 hrs of
reading a different set of man pages) but I doubt that'd address the
problem. My ISP would help, given a suitably framed request.

Could someone please tell me what to do? I've had a fortnight of
trying my own half-educated guesses. Now I'd like a recipe that works.
[whine, pout]

I probably need to understand a bit more about changing terminal
emulations and so on too. I can point you to a dozen man pages which
I have thoroughly read and claim to tell me different lies about the
same things, different commands to achieve the same results but the
outcomes worded differently.

That must indicate both lack of understanding and need for a starting
point, an overview of how this screen stuff is put into effect. RTFM
was all I needed for solo DOS and VMS, but here I do the right thing
again and freebsd laughs in my face. Maybe I expect more this time
around :-)

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

Internet: sue@welearn.com.au  Fidonet: 3:712/404  Modem: +61-2-665-2917
Solids:  Sue Blake, PO Box K73, Haymarket NSW 2000, Australia
http://www.welearn.com.au/        Learning and teaching together
http://www.welearn.com.au/srcc/   Strathfield College