Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:43:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Dave McGill <DMcGill@getthe.net>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation files

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Dave McGill wrote:

> serious trouble figuring how to do it!  I was wondering if you'ld be so
> kind as to tell me which files I will need for a complete install and
> how to download them via my web browser or my ftp program in such a way
> as to be able to install from DOS (note: I have already made the boot
> disk as per the instructions on the web site)

It depends on what you mean by "complete".  For a minimal
install, you need <release-dir>/bin/*, where <release-dir> is the
directory on the FTP site where the release lives, eg
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE (or
whatever...).

You can download any other directories you see fit. A pretty
complete system can be built with:

 bin
 des
 dict
 doc
 games
 info
 manpages
 ports

and if you have space

 src

but at least get src/ssys.* so you can build a kernel optimized
to your system.

-john