Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:06:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.ipaustralia.gov.au>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I've got those device scanning blues...

Morning All,

I've been getting whacked by the order in which FreeBSD 4.2/4.3 scans PCI
slots.

I've got a Dell 6300 running 4.2-STABLE (18/01/01 build) that now has just
over 500 Gb of disk attached from an IBM ESS F20 (Shark).  The Shark is
attached via an Adaptec 2944.

The thing that has been nailing me is that FreeBSD scans PCI slots before
embedded PCI interfaces.  This means that everytime I add another disk via
the shark, or if I add another PCI scsi card the disks get allocated
*before* the internal devices.  When we first set this thing up "da0" was
the first internal drive and became the boot disk.  As soon as I added
Shark disks via the 2944, they became da0, etc, and the original boot disk
became da4 <sigh>.

After a lot of fiddling and a couple of 6 hour overtime shifts moving data
around, I've finally just removed all internal disk and only have Shark
disk attached.

It does mean that if I want to add Shark disk to any of our other FreeBSD
boxes I either have to move them completely to the Shark or fiddle around
a lot to make the damn things boot.

Is there a knob I can twiddle to change the scan order?  (Yes I know you
can change the scan order the bios uses, but that makes no difference to
how FreeBSD scans the busses.)

Carl.