Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:01:19 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf LINT src/sys/i386/include console.h mouse.h src/sys/i386/isa kbdio.h mse.c psm.c syscons.c

>//   - The `psm' driver is made to recognize various models of PS/2 mice
>//   and enable their extra features so that their additional buttons and
>//   wheel/roller are recognized. The name of the detected model will be
>//   printed at boot time.
>
>How much memory does this model info waste ?

int*5 = 20 bytes

>I don't like the ideia of using kernel memory (which cannot yet be
>swapped out) for something almost useless.

In general, I agree that the kernel shouldn't waste memory.  But, the
`psm' driver's info is NOT useless. I didn't add it just for fun. It
is used by `moused' and possibly by the X server (I have contacted
XFree86 people on this issue).

Recent PS/2 mice with wheels and additional buttons use vairous
proprietary data formats to report wheel/button events. Therefore it
is essential to know which model of mice is attached to the system in
order to decode mouse data.

>This (and also the VGA type info) could be in some memory area that
Which info are you talking about? I don't think the console driver
currently distinguishes VGA types.

>could later be released for VM usage.  Something like pre-alocated
>VM pages, disposable after booting.
>
>					Jonny

Kazu