Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 02:42:12 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for an OS and wanting to know if this is the one.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:25:00AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-08-13 23:51, Brooks Lackey <shinesomber@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can i use Yahoo Messanger, Itunes, & AOL Messanger.
>
> No, these programs are written by their respective vendors and they are
> released only for Microsoft Windows systems.  In some cases, like MSN
> and Yahoo IM, you can use alternative FreeBSD programs, like Gaim,
> Pidgim, Kopete, and so on.  In other cases, like iTunes, it may be
> impossible to find something compatible on FreeBSD.

To clarify a bit:

  Gaim/Pidgin is a fairly complete replacement for Y!M and AIM (as well
  as MSN Messenger, ICQ, and others).

  While I don't know of an iTunes store client for FreeBSD, you can at
  least get support for the Apple Lossless Audio Codec and provide an
  iTunes-compatible server with software from ports.

> > I am just looking around as i am now tired of Windows.  I dont know
> > everything about OS but i like to learn new things and if there is
> > something better out there i def. would like to use it.
>
> Brace yourself and prepare for a _very_ bumpy ride then!

Sometimes, bumps are fun, though.  It depends on what you're trying to
accomplish, and what kind of driver you are.  The comment about liking to
learn new things makes me think this might be the "right" kind of
"driver" to enjoy the ride (mostly, at least).