Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 1995 21:08:33 -7700 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Two things: Sound, playmidi

    First off, sorry for CCing this to an additional maillist, but it does
pertain to both.  Anyhow, first off - I've got two soundcards - I only put one
in the machine at a time - but I'm getting the results on both of them that
I've seen people reporting.  I have a Pro Audio Spectrum 16, and a Gravis
Ultrasound MAX.  When I cat <file.au> >/dev/audio it ends up repeating the
thing til I break the command.  If I use "splay" from the sndkit, it repeats
the thing til I try to reboot (the process is unkillable).  Reboot hangs and
doesn't reboot the machine, so I have to hard reboot it.  The card I'd most
like to get working perfectly is the GUS MAX.  Anyhow, if anyone knows how to
fix this problem, or has any clues for me (maybe I can poke around), I'd really
appreciate it.

    The other issue has to do with ports.  I remember hearing Jordan saying
something about FreeBSD not having a midi player.  Well, I took to the task of
getting linux's playmidi working today, expecting a nightmare, and it was no
more than a 5 minute deal.  Mainly just changing "sys" to "machine" and
soforth.  Do we want to include this in ports?  If so, I can make patches and
such...

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration