Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:51:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from a CD-ROM

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 06:26:04PM +0800, Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim wrote:

>   I notice there's an option "boot: " I assume, for selecting kernel
>   after booting off from a FreeBSD CD. How do I make use of the
>   option? Do I need to include the specific disk and slice. I have 3
>   disks da0, da1 and ad0 according to BIOS ordering. FreeBSD stays
>   in da1 and the kernel resides at /kernels/kernel-new. I read from
>   the handbook that boot2 stage spawns off loader or boot3 stage
>   depending on the parameters. Also it explains up until unload and
>   set kernel, if possible I want to use loader because I've done a
>   few customizations in loader.conf which I don't know how to make
>   it out without using a loader.

You can tell the system to boot from an arbitrary disk and kernel file
from the boot prompt.  There's a man page at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=boot&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.6-stable&format=html

But the invocation you want is something like:

    boot: 1:da(0,a)/kernels/kernel-new

Once you've got your system running you can update the master boot
record on da0 using fdisk(8) and/or boot0cfg(8) so that it will give
you the option of booting up any of your OSes.  Then you may need to
reboot to get your loader config stuff back.

Alternatively, you can boot up sysinstall from your installation media
and reset the MBR through that program.  Go into the 'Custom
Installation' menu, then the 'Partition' menu.  Hit 'q' to quit the
partition editor without modifying any partitions, and the next screen
will let you choose how the boot manager will be reinstalled when you
go to the 'Commit' menu item.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way