Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 04:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple IP addrs in a jail

Been playing with this off and on for a couple days now, with no
success - time to ask the think tank...

I'm in the middle of switching from one ISP to another, and having to
change all of the IP addresses to the new block.  For most of the
machines, no problem.  However:

A few of the boxes are running jails {where the jails are} in the old IP
block.  I can use an "ifconfig alias" to make the host machine respond to
both the new and old IP address for the host, but is it possible to make a
jailed environment respond to two different IPs?  If not, is there some
trick I can use with IPFW/NATD to flop around the addresses so that the
jail responds?

I haven't moved any of these machines to their new home yet, but we're
trying to avoid any "down time" caused by cached IP addresses wherever
they may be.  These jails are (basically) Apache configs used by our
clients.  I considered duplicating the jails and then locking the old ones
down to no-updates, but that's ugly and very time-consuming.......

Any words of wisdom?

--mike