Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:56:57 -0800
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd.update 8.2 to 9.0 Success

On 02/01/12 01:17, Andrei Brezan wrote:

> Is that a typo?
Yes, it was a typo.

I know freebsd-update not freebsd.update and that works
> only for REALEASE not STABLE.

Look at my command line, (with the typo fixed)

env UNAME_r=8.2-RELEASE ./freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.0

This made freebsd-update proceed as if it was a RELEASE and the upgrade
succeeded.

I always update STABLE with csup and make
> buildworld/installworld as in handbook.

I normally use the '11 step program' as per the Makefile.

I wanted to see if freebsd-update would do this.  And, it does.  In hind
sight, I think cvsup and the '11 step program' would have been
simpler.  With freebsd-update, I had to manually edit a dozen, or so, files.

Tom Dean