Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:22:51 +0300
From:      Andrew Belashov <bel@orel.ru>
To:        Karol Wiesek <appelast@bsquad.sm.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange problem

Karol Wiesek wrote:
| Recently i've noticed following problem that occurs on my 5.1 on sparc64.
|
| If machine works longer than two days it's ok, it will work till
| reboot/shutdown, but there is a problem, because when uptime is about
two days
| it sometimes freezes.
|
| I tried to find out what could make this kind of problem but there was
no signs
| in logs, by turning off several features in kernel ( ipv6, mac etc. )
i've not
| also find out what could make this kind of behavior.
|
| Does anybody have the same problem?
|
| I have Sun Ultra 5
| cpu0: Sun Microsystems UltraSparc-IIi Processor (360.00 MHz CPU)
| with FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p10

Yes.

My system is highly load Sun Ultra 60 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz, 1024
MB). It have two network interfaces:  hme (connected to internet) and rl
(connected to LAN). FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.

In period 1-2 day my system freezes without any message to console. It
freeze in work time, when people working via LAN.

With option DDB (kernel debugger) kernel may by generate strange panic:

panic: ipi_send: couldn't send ipi
cpuid = 1;
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta              %xcc, 1

db> trace
panic() at panic+0x134
cpu_ipi_send() at cpu_ipi_send+0xb0
cpu_ipi_selected() at cpu_ipi_selected+0x38
tlb_page_demap() at tlb_page_demap+0x74
pmap_zero_page_idle() at pmap_zero_page_idle+0xe4
vm_page_zero_idle() at vm_page_zero_idle+0x74
vm_pagezero() at vm_pagezero+0xb4
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x90
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0x8

In this case, system blocked by saving core dump :(

I rebuild kernel with following options:

options        WITNESS
options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

and my system working stable (up time ~45 days, till manual reboot).

- --
With best regards,
~ Andrew Belashov.