Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:32:32 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16, 4.0 and MIDI ?

Cameron Grant:
 |> Voxware works fine for me in 4.2-R (with SB16 DSP -- Vibra16 on SB32).
 |> Better than PCM for my card in fact.  Several apps I tried since upgrading
 |> worked on Voxware and not PCM, which was enough for me to switch back.
 |> Also, catting .au files to /dev/audio was a nogo with PCM -- works with
 |> Voxware.  And 44.1KHz 16-bit stereo record recorded garbage with PCM, but
 |> works with Voxware...
 |
 |voxware is unmaintained.  it will not work with isapnp cards as the isapnp
 |code disables all isapnp cards when probing for non-isapnp devices.
 |
 |sb16 support in newpcm has improved massively since 4.2 as you would know if
 |you cared enough to track -stable or read commit logs/cvs-all.  simply
 |complaining about a 9 month old release is unhelpful.

I'm hardly complaining.  Just stating facts for someone else that's looking
for the path of least resistance to get a particular soundcard working with
FreeBSD.

I realize and appreciate that lots of hard work is going into pcm/newpcm
and look forward to the day when I can switch over (when some card-specific
problems are fixed or when I upgrade my system/soundcard someday).  After
all, the driver is cleaner, easier to maintain and extend, and designed for
FreeBSD (unlike Voxware).

And "caring enough" to track the head of a CVS tree is hardly appropriate.
If you're a developer, you know that's asking for trouble if you don't have
the time (or want to devote the time from other things) to working through
the occasional commit bugs.

4.2 is the "current" release (see www.freebsd.org if you don't believe me).
I appreciate and am thankful that some folks want to take each and every
commit done day-to-day by FreeBSD developers and test them with their
day-to-day jobs and data, but I personally would rather spend my time on
tasks other than working through bugs that invariably crop up there.  It
takes me enough time to get everything set up the way I like it when I
upgrade to official releases! ;-)  I'm still massaging 4.2-RELEASE to-taste.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com