Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:45:33 +1200
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nonlinear repeated malloc/free performance

--------------000700060505000105030801

I just upped kern.maxdsize to 1G, but noticed that a test program that
mallocs and frees in a loop (increasing sized chunks 1M -> 1024M) takes
about 6 times longer for 1024 iterations than it does only 512 of 'em.
Is this non-linearity expected?

I see from a profile that ifree is taking most of the time.

I guess this use-case is probably unusual (it's only a test program that
I used to check I really can use the whole 1G...).

I'm running 6.1-STABLE from about 09 May. (prog and gprof attached).

Cheers

Mark

--------------000700060505000105030801--