Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 18:21:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, terry@cs.weber.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Something silly in ufs/ufs/ufs_lookup.c

> > >In ufs_checkpath(), the int rootino is assigned the value ROOTINO,
> > >which is never modified, only compared against.
> > >
> > >Shouldn't the references to rootino be deleted and replaced with the
> > >manifest constant ROOTINO?
> >
> >    Yes, it should. If it were defined at the top level, the answer would be
> > different...but it's not.
>
> I thought this was the beginning of support for
>
> 	mount /dev/sd2e:/some/dir /mnt
>
> where you mount something different than the root of the filesystem...
>
> I can live without that of course (I always have had to :-)

But having that functionality would be really sweat for chroot test
trees, cdrom's with /filesys on them, etc... huummm.. is that what
that code is really for??    If so I say we put it on the TODO list
and hope so CS student decides he would like to use one of the
cdrom /filesys's as the real root of a box.  Can you say an OS that
can't be comprimised via system binary changes :-) :-)